Cyr leads Surron Electric Rider Award battle into CTMP

The fight for the inaugural Surron Electric Rider Award could be decided this weekend at Canadian Tire Motorsport Park, as amateur star Mavrick Cyr leads a nail-biting group into the fourth round of the Bridgestone Canadian Superbike Championship.

Announced in May, the Surron Electric Rider Award will hand a brand new Surron Light Bee X electric bike to the amateur rider that records the highest number of fastest laps across their respective class season, converted to a percentage of the total class races. 

Cyr currently leads the standings by a slim percentage, having taken both fastest laps thus far out of a six-race season in the AIM Insurance Amateur Superbike class to sit at 33%, with four races still remaining to potentially record a full 100%.

On an even number of fastest laps sits EBC Brakes Lightweight Pro/Am rider Ryan Vanderputten, but thanks to his larger eight-race calendar trails Cyr at 25% with four races remaining (a max of 75% available). 

The tie for third then goes to a pair of Scorpion EXO Amateur Sport Bike rivals, as Cyr and Andrew Cooney each have scored one fastest lap thus far to post an even 17%, a max of 83% available to one of them.

Fastest lap totals from different classes cannot be combined, thus why Cyr sits both first (Superbike) and in a tie for third (Sport Bike).

The remaining six riders all sit tied for fifth, where Jack Beaudry (Super Sonic School Amateur Lightweight), Vincent Lalande (Amateur Lightweight), Justin Marshall (Amateur Lightweight), Stacey Nesbitt (Lightweight Pro/Am), and Vincent Wilson twice (both Amateur Lightweight and Lightweight Pro/Am) all sit on 13% with one fastest lap across an eight-race season.

Cyr can clinch the Electric Rider Award and his Light Bee X machine if he takes both fastest laps in the Amateur Superbike doubleheader at CTMP, and Vanderputten only takes one or none in the Lightweight Pro/Am. 

Surron has quickly grown into one of the world’s most successful electric bike companies after creating a global frenzy with the Light Bee X, an electric dirt bike/MTB hybrid. Surron Canada is operated by Ottawa-based DIAN Motors Inc., the exclusive authorized Surron distributor in Canada.